The debate about toddlers and television rages on and as Kariana approaches two years old, I have to admit I’ve become pretty relaxed on this subject. Kariana’s favorites are Sesame Street, Dora, Thomas and Mickey Mouse and I see the learning opportunities in these shows. Plus, if it helps to divert her attention and keep her happy while I’m trying to get ready for work or get dinner on the table, I consider a few minutes of Sesame Street a win-win for everyone. But even I was against purchasing a portable DVD player for Kariana until we were flying across country this summer. I have to admit the portable DVD player that I purchased (against my better judgment) helped pass the time on our four hour plane ride.
One of the videos I picked up was Elmo’s Potty Time. Every day Kariana asks “Elmo Potty” which translated means “May I watch Elmo’s Potty Time video?” We haven’t pushed potty training with her. Until recently when we asked her if she wanted to sit on the potty and try to pee pee or poo poo, she would shake her head no. Although with any toddler “no” sometimes means “yes” and “yes” sometimes means “no.” So despite the shaking of her head no, she often sits on her little potty and pretends she is going to the bathroom but she doesn’t really go. It is clear to us that Kariana understands the concept because we talk about it alot but I have let her take the initiative in deciding whether she wants to sit on the potty and in the meantime she continues to watch Elmo. Lately, she's been asking for “Elmo Potty” alot and says things like “Elmo pee pee" "Mommy pee pee” “Daddy pee pee” “Bubba pee pee.” I respond “Yes, Elmo pee pees in the potty, Mommy pee pees in the potty, Daddy pee pees in the potty and Bubba pee pees in the potty too.” Okay, so Bubba is one of her Little People friends that she is obsessed with carrying around and Bubba doesn’t technically pee pee or poo poo, but at least the message gets across that everyone pee pees and poo poos in the potty.
Then the other weekend Kariana did it!! Kariana knew exactly what to do. Before bath, she pee peed in her little potty, dumped it in the big toilet, flushed and climbed up her stool to the sink to wash her hands! Since then Kariana has been pee peeing in her potty at least one time every day. I recognize that we have a long way to go before we can get rid of diapers but if Elmo can teach Kariana to use the big girl potty then praise to you portable DVD player!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment