Monday, March 1, 2010

Story Time Part II


I've previously written about Saturday story time at our local public library: a combination of stories, songs and dancing followed by an art activity that is age appropriate for the kids. There are a lot of little chairs set up for everyone to sit and listen to the picture book stories and between each story we stand up for a few fun songs and dancing. My personal favorite is the "Dance As Silly As You Want To" song but there's also classics like "The Hokey Pokey" and "5 Little Monkeys Jumping On The Bed." This sounds simple, but what happens next is what I will call a bunch of parents shepherding organized chaos. Some of the children actually sit and listen to the story. Occasionally one of the kids will try standing on his or her chair and the parent will quickly appear to sit the child back down. Other kids (like Kariana) enjoy pushing their chairs around the room. I have to remember that listening is a learned skill and we are working on it. Believe it or not, the singing and dancing is the most organized part of story time. The kids love to clap their hands, wiggle their little butts and shake around. We usually end with an art project that involves crayons and sometimes, such as this week, glue and scissors. Kariana and her friend, Emma, were busy rearranging and fighting over the crayons, but I was impressed to see a very organized art project going on behind us with the older kids sitting at the tables. I guess this is what we have to look forward to, but we're not quite there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment