Monday, August 30, 2010

Picking Up Sticks

Kariana and I stayed with Grandma and Grandpa Bergen for a few days and I think the theme of the trip was picking up sticks.  I mention this because this type-A mom constantly worries about Kariana's playtime activities.  Is her playtime structured enough?  Is it too structured?  Is she learning anything?  Honestly, these thoughts keep me awake at night even though I already feel like a harried parent racing off to music class, swim class and playgroup each week.  It's back-to-school time and many of Kariana's peers are starting mother's-day-out programs this fall.  We've opted to keep Kariana home until next fall.  Again, the second guessing and questioning.  Should I add another activity this fall to compensate?  Does she already have too many activities?  But then I take a deep breath and watch Kariana.  She is perfectly happy picking up sticks, collecting rocks and chasing bugs.  I honestly believe that perhaps we may be overscheduling our kids in an earnest attempt to raise smart ones.  Give me a break - Kariana isn't even two yet and most of the time she is still fascinated by light switches!  This is what toddlers do!           

No comments:

Post a Comment