We have officially said good-bye to formula and it took only one day. We followed our pediatrician’s advice and switched Kariana from formula to whole milk cold turkey. The morning after Kariana’s visit to the pediatrician’s office, I dumped out the open can of formula and filled Kariana’s bottle with milk. Kariana didn’t blink an eye and I don’t think she knew we had made the switch. We’ve been formula-free for three days so I’m confident there is no going back.
It is hard to describe how happy this makes me. I have had this inner dislike for formula from the beginning. When Kariana stopped breastfeeding and we switched her to formula, I viewed it as the ugly stepchild. I know this sounds silly and I realize that during the first year babies need all the nutrients formula provides, but formula is gross not to mention expensive. To help Kariana with her reflux we bought the overpriced ready-to-use cans of special formula that is formulated to reduce spit-ups. Despite my dislike of formula I have to admit I swear by Enfamil AR and would recommend it for any other parents dealing with infant reflux, but it’s expensive and inconvenient when you are on-the-go.
My preference for Kariana and for our entire family is Horizon Organic Whole Milk. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, there is supposedly no difference between regular milk and organic milk, aside from how the cows are raised and an obvious difference in price. Recent studies, however, are showing that organic milk is indeed better. But for me just knowing that organic milk comes from a cow whose milk production was not prompted by an artificial growth hormone, that was not treated with antibiotics, whose feed was not grown with pesticides and which had access to “pasture” is convincing enough! Marketing gimmicks? Who knows? But it makes me feel better.
It is hard to describe how happy this makes me. I have had this inner dislike for formula from the beginning. When Kariana stopped breastfeeding and we switched her to formula, I viewed it as the ugly stepchild. I know this sounds silly and I realize that during the first year babies need all the nutrients formula provides, but formula is gross not to mention expensive. To help Kariana with her reflux we bought the overpriced ready-to-use cans of special formula that is formulated to reduce spit-ups. Despite my dislike of formula I have to admit I swear by Enfamil AR and would recommend it for any other parents dealing with infant reflux, but it’s expensive and inconvenient when you are on-the-go.
My preference for Kariana and for our entire family is Horizon Organic Whole Milk. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, there is supposedly no difference between regular milk and organic milk, aside from how the cows are raised and an obvious difference in price. Recent studies, however, are showing that organic milk is indeed better. But for me just knowing that organic milk comes from a cow whose milk production was not prompted by an artificial growth hormone, that was not treated with antibiotics, whose feed was not grown with pesticides and which had access to “pasture” is convincing enough! Marketing gimmicks? Who knows? But it makes me feel better.

No comments:
Post a Comment