No, unfortunately this is not my house. But it is my DREAM house and, for now, it is my inspiration. I became obsessed with this Hampton's beach house the minute I saw it. It is Diane Keaton's house in the movie Something's Gotta Give and, although irrelevant to this story, I am also obsessed with Diane Keaton. Diane Keaton is a class act and one of my most favorite actresses of all time. Apparently, I am not alone in my Something's Gotta Give beach house obsession. It was showcased in Architectural Digest shortly after the movie was released. At least this confirms my obsession is in good taste so the beach house has become my inspiration for decorating our house. Surely if you've seen the movie (everyone has), you remember the beach house as well as Jack Nicholson's New York townhome.Diane Keaton's Hampton's Beach House
Living Room

Jack Nicholson's New York Townhome

The beach house's living room is perfectly cozy with its slipcover chairs and shades of my favorite seashore blues and whites. Tobin, on the other hand, is obsessed with Jack Nicholson and his Something's Gotta Give townhome. The townhome is definitely all Baker furniture and out of our price range. We've accepted this and moved on. But this is our on-going dilemma. As you can tell by the pictures, I have a relaxed and casual style and Tobin likes a more formal and stuffy look. In my opinion, his style is not practical and in his opinion, "You want slipcovers, seriously?" But we have learned to compromise and the Something's Gotta Give beach house and townhome are our inspirations.
We recently redecorated our living room. It was not meant to be beach house cozy. Tobin wouldn't go for beach house cozy in the living room. Plus, beach house cozy doesn't really fit our refurbished 1939 Houston home. Instead, we used the beach house's living room as our inspiration but went for a more refined look.
Our Living Room
We're not entirely finished and still have to accessorize with lamps, pictures, etc. but this is our living room so far. How are we doing?
Diane Keaton's Hampton's Beach House
Kitchen

Our Kitchen
I did not copy our kitchen from the Something's Gotta Give beach house, but I just realized our kitchen looks remarkable like it. Go figure. I am not alone again. The year after the movie was released every designer had their own version of Diane Keaton's kitchen.
Diane Keaton's Hampton's Beach House
Dining Room

Next we have to decorate our dining room. I have been thinking about it for awhile but have no clear picture in my mind. This is the beach house's dining room. Maybe it will inspire me . . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment