
It was about the time Kariana turned six months old that I realized there was no turning back and we were all addicted to the pacifier. Prior to that time, Kariana would take the pacifier when we gave it to her, but she did not indicate a strong preference for it or so I thought. Much to my surprise (duh!) her preference for the pacifier became apparent as soon as she fine-tuned her motor skills. Now she could pick it up and put it in her mouth all by herself. I quickly realized we had all become dependent on the pacifier!
We don’t leave the house without first asking “who’s got the pacifier?” and we always bring a spare pacifier just in case one gets lost. We keep pacifiers upstairs in her bedroom and bathroom, downstairs in the kitchen and living room, in her diaper bag, in her stroller and in the car. Kariana goes to bed with a pacifier in her mouth and a spare pacifier next to her just in case she accidently tosses one out of the crib during the night. Many mornings I find her awake in her crib with a pacifier in her mouth and a pacifier in her hand. I think we call this double fisting! See pictures below.
We’ve tried switching her to one of the more stylish pacifiers on the market (if there is such a thing), but haven’t been successful. Not a chance. Kariana wants the obnoxious green pacifier sent home with us from the hospital.
I despise the pacifier for many reasons. It’s such a lovely addition to photographs of her. Instead of seeing her beautiful smiling face all I see is the obnoxious green pacifier. I also find myself constantly bending over to pick it up off the floor. On our trip to Oregon last week (which I’ll write about in my next blog) we started out with five pacifiers in our arsenal only to come home with one pacifier left. So what did we do? That night we ran out to Target and replenished our arsenal of pacifiers. Kariana’s pediatrician thinks our goal should be to take the pacifier away from Kariana by her first birthday. I think this goal may be a long shot and I’m not holding my breath, but I will keep you posted.

No comments:
Post a Comment