Saturday, January 2, 2010

Did you eat your black-eyed peas?


I have to admit the Carlson's did not eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day this year. I'm not sure if this is only a Southern tradition or the Carlson's are just flat out-of-luck in 2010. But I promise we have a legitimate reason for not eating our black-eyed peas yesterday. The reason is that we are all beaned out. Beans are all that Kariana wants to eat lately and we have been eating loads of beans! I should be thrilled that Kariana loves beans, right? Beans are a great source of protein. They are high in the good kind of fiber that protects your heart and are full of the B group of vitiamins.

I'm not sure how Kariana's love for beans began. Our ritual on Friday night is to go out to eat. We started going to Terglinua for Mexican because it's so convenient and sometimes we go to Edloe Street Cafe where we get their yummy enchiladas. We quickly discovered Kariana loves the beans and we were scooping up the left over beans to bring home for her to have the rest of the week.

So I asked Lou to show me how she makes beans in her crock pot at home. It's quite simple and even I can do it. Wash and separate the beans taking out any bad ones --apparently there are always a few bad beans just like there are always a few bad apples in the bunch. Cover the beans in the crock pot with a few inches of water. Lou doesn't believe in soaking the beans overnight -- she says this just makes them gassy!?!? Dice up some green peppers and onions to throw in the crock pot with the beans and set the crock pot on high for 3 to 4 hours. VoilĂ ! We've made red beans, black beans, pinto beans, navy beans and even black-eyed peas. Plus, I have to say with all of this fiber the Carlson household has been getting lately, we are all very regular! Who would have guessed such stinky ones can come from such a tiny little girl.

Who cut the cheese? Thbbbbt!

No comments:

Post a Comment