Monday, January 4, 2010

Poached Pears with Raspberry Sauce


This desert is so easy I have to share because it is delicious, looks elegant and will easily impress guests. I've tried several variations depending on what I have in the house. I've used apple juice or apple cider instead of cran-raspberry jucie and I've omitted the raspberry sauce and served the pears a la mode with a drizzle of caramel instead. Yummy!

Poached Pears with Raspberry Sauce

4 cups cran-raspberry juice

2 cups Rhine or Riesling wine

1/4 cup sugar

2 cinnamon sticks, broken into halves

4 to 5 firm Bosc or Anjou pears, peeled, cored and seeded

1 package frozen raspberries in syrup, thawed

Fresh berries


Combine juice, wine, sugar and cinnamon stick halves in slow cooker. Submerge pears in mixture. Cover and cook on low 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until pears are tender.

Process raspberries in food processor or blender until smooth; strain out seeds. Spoon raspberry sauce onto serving plates and place a pear on top of sauce. Garnish with fresh berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment